Friday, October 26, 2007

True Story, Unfortunately

So, a few days ago, a guy I work with walked past my desk, looked at me, stopped, and then said that I just keep getting bigger and bigger every day.

Umm…thanks? I just kind of smiled a little and said, “Yup.” It wouldn’t have really fazed me had he not said a similar comment just a few days before. I get it already. I’m getting bigger.

Then he said, “The time has to be coming soon. When are you due?”

I told him not until the end of January. His eyes got really big. He walked over so he was right in front of me and said, “Really? Not until the end of January?”

“Umm…nope.“

“Wow. You’re pretty big already.”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

Then I’m pretty sure he asked me if I was having twins. After hearing no, he genuinely looked worried. He just had this concerned look in his eyes. He asked if I had had ultrasounds and if everything was okay with the baby.

“Yeah. Everything’s fine. Do I really look THAT big to you?”

Then I think he kind of understood that he wasn’t being very tactful or appropriate in any way. He said he was kind of just joking when he said I keep getting bigger and bigger. He said he should probably be more sensitive to my feelings. But then he immediately said, “This isn’t your first kid, is it?”

“Yeah, it is.”

After watching his eyes get really big yet again, he said, “Wow. Usually you don’t get really big so soon when it’s your first kid, right? Huh. …Man, it just seems like you’ve been pregnant forever.”

Mind you, no one at work even knew I was pregnant until I was in my 2nd trimester, and I’m STILL in my 2nd trimester.

After this uplifting conversation, I quickly went to my fellow pregnant coworker to tell her what had happened. She told me that she has had a few people ask her if she’s having twins because they thought she looked so big. And she is NOT that big. That made me feel a little better.

I truly don’t understand how clueless some people are. I mean, who would even THINK of saying things like that to someone? It’s always nice to have these little chats with people to boost your self-esteem. Especially when you’re just feeling huge day after day and you still have THREE months to go.

3 comments:

The Farmer's said...

Oh, my gosh! That's so annoying! Some people!

MediocreMama said...

At least you're not teaching anymore. I still remember one girl coming up to me after class one day. I was maybe four months pregnant. She said, "Mrs. Wever! Your belly is growing so fast!" I agreed, happy that my belly was starting to show. Then she added, "And your butt is getting bigger, too!" I told her to hurry and leave so she wouldn't be late to her next class. Then I cried. Ha ha ha ha you will laugh about people like him someday! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Uhh..does this guy know he's an idiot? You are not too big for how far along you are. What a fool. Kick him in the head for me.