Sawyer Phillip Lewis (named after both my dad and Skigh's dad) was born March 6, 2010 at 10:56 P.M. He weighed 8 pounds, 6 ounces (one ounce more than Bailey), and was twenty inches long. He came almost two weeks early. I had just come home from a friend's baby shower and decided to take a nap. When I woke up, I thought my water may have broken (I was losing fluid) but wasn't sure. We talked to a nurse and decided to head to the hospital. We dropped Bailey off at a friend's house and made it to the hospital by 5:00. It was strange driving to the hospital when I hadn't experienced any contractions at all. Once we got there, we were told that we wouldn't be leaving the hospital without a baby. I was put on pitocin. A few hours later, I was a 4 or 5 and decided to get an epidural. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I had no idea that could even happen. I told them I wanted another one, but I went from a 4 to a 10 in an hour. I was already a 10 by the time they put in the second epidural. This one worked, thankfully. A couple of pushes later, and he was out. It was so surreal for us to have a baby all of a sudden. Everything just happened so fast.
Waiting...obviously not too much pain yet.
Last shot before his arrival.
First picture of Sawyer.

His face came out pretty smushed and his body was so purple.
When I first saw him, I thought he looked just like Bailey looked when she was born.

Happy it's over, watching Sawyer getting cleaned off.
Waiting for his first checkup.


Purple, purple arms.


Dad's first diaper change.




His face looks pretty flat in this picture. Poor guy.
One of the things I was most worried about was how Bailey would handle being away from us. She ended up having to stay the night at our friends' house and going to church with them the next morning. She's never been put to bed by anyone but us, so I wasn't sure how she would take it. It turns out I didn't need to worry at all. She didn't cry at all and was completely happy with them. They said the first thing she said when she woke up was, "New crib!" We talked to her on the phone that first morning, and she just said hi and then got distracted by something. I must say, I thought she would at least miss us a little. I'm glad she handled everything so well though. Skigh picked Bailey up from church and then went to pick up my mom from the airport. They came straight to the hospital where Bailey got to meet her new baby brother for the first time.
When she first walked in, she just kind of stared, not quite knowing how to react. Then she kept hugging and kissing Sawyer and saying, "Hi, baby. Hi, little buddy." She was so excited. She pointed to my stomach and said, "Baby not in that anymore." She kept hugging me, too. It was a happy reunion.

Bailey was also excited to have Grandma Kellogg there.



Bailey took over my bed the first chance she got.





































8 comments:
Oh, Berkley. Crying as I look at these sweet pictures. I love Sawyer; he is SUCH a cutie. Little does he know the beyond wonderful family of which he's been plopped. I love/miss Bailey so much and treasure the time I had with her. Her pictures here with her little brother truly reflect her innocent yet genuine love for him. What a team!!!!!
Isn't it fun to introduce your older kids to their new sibs? Congratulations! Sawyer is such a cutie and you can tell Bailey loves him so much.
Congratulations! I love all the pictures, but especially the one of Bailey and Sawyer together, at the top of your blog, they are both so cute! I also really like the first one of Sawyer all wrapped up in his blanket, and the ones of Bailey alone in the hospital bed. I felt exactly the same with Clementine--I was really, really ready to go home. I didn't feel that way with Bernadette. I'm glad your delivery went well--although I'm sure the epidural thing was very stressful at the time. I hope all is going well with adjusting to a new person in your family, and that your beautiful new baby is healthy and well. By the way, I love his name!
So glad to finally see pictures! Amazing post. Sawyer is just perfect. He is such a hunk. I can't wait to meet him in person. You all look so happy in the pictures. I love the one of the four of you. I started to cry. Your growing family is just incredible. Congrats again on your new little addition. He's wonderful.
I got choked up with this post! Sawyer is absolutely handsome. I see SO much Kellogg in him. He looks so tiny in his carseat. It's so crazy how small they start out. I LOVE, LOVE the pictures of Sawyer and Bailey in the bed. Especially the one where she's kissing him. ADORABLE. You looked amazing after just having a baby. It's pretty much sickening. Love the family photos. What a gorgeous family. Such an exciting time. I am so happy for you guys. Love you guys.
OH Berkley!! I loved reading your post. What a beautiful memory and sweet lit'l angel you got to bring home after all of the hard work. :) He is just perfect!! He is such a lit'l cutie. Life simply amazes me every time I read another baby story. ;) He is just precious! We pray the transition from 3 to 4 might be smooth for the whole fam. We will be thinking of you. :) We are so happy all went well. love you!
So in the picture right above "Dad's first diaper change" I think Sawyer looks just like Grandpa Kellogg. I love that little blue outfit.
Post a Comment